This webinar presents a clinical map called the trauma survivor’s internal role atom that guides all experiential work using the Therapeutic Spiral Model to treat trauma (Hudgins, 2002; Hudgins & Toscani, 2013; Hudgins & Durost, In Press).
TSM Psychodrama, as it has come to be called over the past 25 years of development, practice, and research, is a three-stage model of experiential therapy that provides the containment and restoration needed to work safely with clinically modified psychodrama. Participants will learn the stages of Prescriptive, Trauma-based, and Post-traumatic Growth roles that detail healthy psychological functioning to prevent uncontrolled regression and unchosen catharsis with action methods.
TSM psychodrama seeks at all time to integrate the emotional and rational aspects into body-based clinical interventions, so that all experiential work is held with full conscious awareness and choice that actually produce behavioral change.
The webinar is both theoretical and experiential. There will be a simple PowerPoint that will be used as a theoretical thread through experiential demonstrations and supervised practice of immediately useful action interventions to work with trauma following this webinar. Participants will learn how TSM integrates neurobiology, attachment theory, clinical psychology, and experiential principles of change to create new and life affirming experiences for people who have experienced trauma. Embodied use of projective identification is presented as a major tool for group change. While TSM Psychodrama is, at its depth a team model of group psychotherapy, Dr. Hudgins and her team will demonstrate and practice clinical interventions for practice with individuals, couples, and families, as well as in educational and community settings. Participants will learn to create a safe online learning group using TSM Safety Structures.
In Stage 1, participants will learn individual intervention modules, such as the Body and Containing Doubles that provide deeper experiencing of psychological containment and here and now functioning in a state of healthy focus on stabilization in the body. Dr. Hudgins will teach the intervention module “Reversing with Strengths”, that can be used in any setting for support and preparation for directly working with traumatic material without being triggered into defenses.
Stage 2 will be presented through a 3D diagram of the TSM Trauma Triangle with its unique role of the abandoning authority adding to the usual victim and perpetrator roles in addiction circles. Participants will learn a pen and paper tool to help clients identify their internalized trauma patterns so that they can be changed.
Stage 3 finishes with experiencing roles of post-traumatic growth as people come to new narratives, images, and experiences to guide their future following trauma.
While everyone is encouraged to participate in the group process, as well as supervised practice, everyone can choose their own level of involvement in the training process. Of course, experiential learning is best done experientially! Readings and handouts will be provided ahead of the course that help people understand the TSM clinical map to safely guide all experiential methods, not just clinically modified psychodrama.
- Participants will be able to present the three-stage model of the Therapeutic Spiral Model that guides TSM Psychodrama.
- Participants will be able to describe the trauma survivor’s internal role atom and its guide as a clinical map focusing on prescriptive, trauma-based, and post-traumatic growth.
- Participants will be able to teach others why experiential psychotherapy is the best choice for trauma-informed care based on neurobiology, attachment theory, and clinical psychology.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate how projective identification is used as a principle of change when working with groups of trauma survivors with experiential psychotherapy.
- Participants will be able to practice the containing interventions of the Body Double and the Containing Double immediately following the webinar.
- Participants will be able to practice the resources building intervention of Role Reversing with Strengths immediately following the webinar in their area of expertise.
- Participants will be able to narratively label their own experience from the group experience of TSM Psychodrama as a training webinar to inform their own practice with experiential trauma-informed methods of care.
While Dr. Hudgins will personally conduct the training webinar, she will be assisted by senior clinicians in the TSI International Certification in Experiential Trauma Therapy using TSM Psychodrama to provide the broadest support for this online group. Note: Dr. Hudgins and her team have spent the last 18 months learning to adapt in-person experiential trauma therapy to Zoom.
Kate Hudgins, Ph.D., TEP, is an American clinical psychologist and Board-Certified Trainer, Educator and Practitioner in Psychodrama, Sociometry and Group Psychotherapy. She is the developer of the Therapeutic Spiral Model (TSM) to treat trauma safely using clinically modified psychodrama Dr. Hudgins is the Training Director of the TSI International Certification in Experiential Trauma Therapy using TSM Psychodrama and has taught in 42 countries in person. She has twice been awarded honours from the American Society for Group Psychotherapy for her clinical adaptations. She received the Innovator’s Award in 2002 and the Scholar’s Award in 2009. Dr. Hudgins published her first book in 2002 “Experiential Treatment of PTSD: The Therapeutic Spiral Model” and is currently under contract with Springer Publisher for a 20-year update on the clinical map that guides all TSM trauma work for safety. She has published over 30 articles and chapters and is a well-known international presenter and trainer. She brings her passion for using action methods to all.